Home > Sports > Frustration

Frustration

August 24, 2008

Irish boxer Kenny Egan is in the light heavyweight final against Xiaoping Zhang as I type. Naturally, I can’t see it live in this country … instead I get to see a bunch of overpaid millionaires play basketball against Spain. Here’s hoping the Spaniards win.

Best I can do is follow the fight round by round on RTE (video not allowed outside Ireland, damn it!). We’ve two bronze medals already this Olympics (for boxing). A gold would be nice, given that it’s only the fifth time in Olympic history that an Irish boy has made a boxing final.

Update: End of round 1 … Egan is down 2-0.

Update: End of round 2 … Egan down 5-3.

Update: End of round three … he’s down 7-5. There’s still hope but he’s going to have to give it everything. A win here would be Ireland’s first gold since 1992.

Update: And it’s over. 11-7. No doubt the home crowd is going wild.

That last round clearly didn’t help. Maybe I’ll get to see it sometime tomorrow.

A silver is good. Over the years we’ve won nine gold, twenty-two silver, and 16 bronze (not including the ones when we were, ahem, “Great Britain & Ireland”), so the extra medals wont hurt.

And while I’m at it …

The IOC ranks nations by the number of gold medals won. The US ranks by number of medals. I wonder why? Sorry folks … China is winning, and by a long shot.

1. August 24, 2008 at 4:59 am | #1

You might want to read the BBC’s live coverage. To give you an indication of their views on the fight, this is the comment on the following bout:

To the boxing again, and Italy’s world champion Roberto Cammarelle is 11-3 up against China’s Zhang Zhilei after round two. Not sure what Cammarelle’s done to achieve that, I can only assume Zhang’s been knocked out, spent a few hours in hospital, and been allowed to carry on on his return to the Workers’ Gymnasium.

I think the lack of coverage might have been a blessing in disguise.
    Being British, I don’t mind which way they score the medals: we’re still above the Aussies.

2. Idlethought
    August 24, 2008 at 10:30 am | #2

You could try the Channel 4 (GB) alternative orders.
    Order by population, GDP, Human rights, Olympic or US style.

3. Lassi Hippeläinen
    August 24, 2008 at 11:36 am | #3

@Bob: Really? See what Snowflake writes about it…

4. August 24, 2008 at 1:28 pm | #4

Yes, Lassi, I saw that. You see he has to fudge the figures. And also see where Estonia is (and they keep on winning the wife-carrying).

5. j a higginbotham
    August 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm | #5

As far back as I can recall, the US as always done total medals.
    Why is China so far out of balance on gold medals?

6. August 25, 2008 at 2:58 am | #6

German television quotes Egan as having said; “The only way I could have won this fight was to knock out the points judge!”

7. DLC
    August 28, 2008 at 9:19 pm | #7

Once upon a time I held out the hope that nations would send their best amateurs to compete in the Olympics out of a spirit of friendly competition. Once upon a time I thought that differences between nations could be set aside for a brief space of time. And then I saw the tragic ending of the 1972 Munich games. Are the Olympics really anything more than hype and merchandising anymore ?

Comments are closed.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 27 other followers